Nike Women's Fitness 5K - June 2010

Nike Women's Fitness 5K - June 2010
Walked this course in 2009 - walked and partially ran the course in 2010.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week Two - Check! Week Three, here I come!

OK, so I finished week two of the "Couch to 5K" running program this morning.  I normally run on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but when I got up yesterday (Friday) I just did NOT have the energy to go running.  I went to bed too late the night before, and didn't sleep well, I guess.....and then, I felt GUILTY all day long for not running.  I thought to myself..."Am I giving up yet again?"  "Will I fail this, too?"  No, really!  I was very concerned because I do have a slight history of starting things and not finishing them.

Well, I am pleased to say that, lo and behold, I DID get up this morning (Saturday) and finished the week's run!  And I actually looked forward to it!

I just really want to be successful in this new venture in my life.  So many times before, both before and after surgery (especially before) I have begun exercise programs and paid for gym memberships, only to quit before I hardly even got started.  You can see why I was afraid I'd fail yet again with C25K. 

But I DIDN'T QUIT!  Yes, I took an extra day of rest off -- maybe my body really needed it -- after all, this is the first time IN MY LIFE I have done some form of consistent exercise.  So I found that I can take an extra day off, if necessary, in the training -- the key is to NOT GIVE UP - to get right back at it even when you feel like you have failed.

One concern I have is that I do not want to injure myself as I learn to run.  I have sore muscles, mostly in the upper thigh area, every time I do run.  But today I had some pain in my left knee.  I tried to take it easy, while still doing the running program as designed this week (90 seconds running, 2 minutes walking), and by the time I got back, the pain was pretty much gone from the knee.  I cannot imagine anything worse in trying to establish a habit of healthy exercise than injuring yourself and not being able to complete your training.  I have read many posts on the C25K blogsite where people have injured their food or ankle or knees and could not complete the entire program.  I do not want that to happen to me. 

So I try to take it very easy, not push myself too hard -- and YES, perhaps I really did need that extra day off to rest yesterday before finishing out my third run for week two.

ON TO WEEK THREE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Way to keep on going! I'm so proud of you, especially for listening to your body and using restraint. I tore tendons in both feet, tore a muscle in my right calf, and tore cartilage in my left knee (it happened during my teens and I eventually had to have surgery for it when I was about 40). I've also had bursitis in one shoulder and a hip from weight-lifting. I don't want you to have to learn the hard way like I did; so be patient and listen to your body.

    ReplyDelete